Social Media

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Demigods Visit My Living Room

As a highly voracious reader, it not uncommon for me to read the first book in a series or a world and then decide to devour the entirety of what is published in the series/world. My favorite world has 43 books in it, including short story collections. I try to read all of them every couple of years, usually takes me about a month.

My newest obsessive reading binge is Rick Riordan YA books - Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5), The Heroes of Olympus (5), and the Kane Chronicles (3). Later I will probably try his 8 adult books.
The five books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympian Series.
SO that means I had a stack of 10 books on my end table - I had already finished the first three Percy books when the rest came in at the library. (hence the trying his 8 adult books later)

First let me touch on the fact that they are Young Adult (YA) books.  What are YA books you ask? Books from any genre that feature YA protagonists, tell a story about what that protagonist deals with as a teen, and is generally marketed towards teens. Does this mean its not written intelligently? Not one bit. One of things I love about YA is that the authors assume the reader is intelligent and so they create intelligent characters.

Checkout this list of things to know about YA. #16 is one of the main reasons adults read YA.

Now onto the actual stories. Things I love about the characters, world, and the writing...
Authenticity:
1. Each of the characters is a flawed, like real-life character. Each character grows throughout the story, but not so much that it would be unrealistic.

2. The dialog is what people really sound like. And the communication (and lack of sometimes) between characters and the reasons for holding back is authentic.

Fantastical:
1. 2 of the series deal with Greek and Roman mythology and the 3rd with Egyptian mythology. Fantastical yes, but educational and interesting all wrapped up together as well.

2. Real world places, adjusted to accommodate the fantastical. In the Percy series, one scene is set in the Arch. The description of riding up in the little egg elevators is down-right perfect.

The writing:
I laugh so much when I read this series. I think Rick does an amazing job of keeping the pace up, the language accessible, and imparting really great ideas.  Check out the quotes below for some examples.

The Lost Hero - The Heroes of Olympus

The Lightning Thief - Percy Jackson and the Olympians

The Lightning Thief - Percy Jackson and the Olympians


The Lost Hero - The Heroes of Olympus
This is an author I will be sharing with Liam when he gets a little older. It is probably also true that I will revisit these books on my own just for the sheer joy of the stories.

This is Day 3 of the #writeandrun31 challenge. Check out http://writeandrun31.strikingly.com/ for more info.

1 comment:

  1. You remind me of your grandmother. She loved all types of books, however, YA books were her speciality due to her work.

    ReplyDelete